Waiting for the doctor. They let her choose a Beanie Baby. Just her cup of tea!
In November 2008, Lyric had tubes put in her ears. She had been having some speech issues and after a hearing test, it was determined she had a significant amount of fluid built up. It was a pretty quick procedure that only took about twenty minutes. It was nerve wracking for me, because she had to be put under.
We continued with speech therapy and it helped so much! Over the past nine months, she's started having some more issues. She tells me her ears hurt and feel "cloudy" all the time. She had strep three times within 2 1/2 months. Her breathing has been way more labored and it's really loud! Anytime she starts getting a cold, it goes straight to her throat. It automatically gets swollen and sore. We've also noticed that she doesn't always hear us, and she seems to need to look at us and pay close attention when we spoke to her. I knew it wasn't just kid selective hearing :)So, today we went back to Valley Children's for another hearing test and to see the ENT. I have to say it really tugged at my emotions to watch her during the hearing test. They tested the vibration of her eardrums, which didn't exist. The results are supposed to show a mountain type curve and hers didn't show anything! He then put on some headphones and had her repeat numbers and clap when she heard a beep. It was sad to hear her repeat the wrong number or not say anything because she couldn't hear the man.
He basically said that her hearing is equivalent to putting both of your fingers in your ears. That's how she's been hearing. We headed up to the ENT to discuss the results. Adding everything together, he suggested removing her tonsils and adenoids and putting in a new set of tubes. It sounds so scary, but I really feel that this will help her so much. I want to get this all taken care of before she starts kindergarten in six short months. I would hate for her to fall behind simply because she couldn't hear well enough. She was such a trooper during the long appointments.
I feel very fortunate to be in tune with her and to have known that something wasn't right. Valley Children's Hospital is such an amazing place. I know she will be in good hands. The surgery isn't until April, so I've got plenty of time to obsess about it in my mind!
3 comments:
Lindy
This surgery helped Luka's hearing soooo much. I think you will be really happy with the results. Savannah, Cooper and Luka have all had it and made it through fine!
Awwww, poor little lady. Thank goodness it's going to be taken care of. You are a good mom.
Katie had that surgery when she was 3. She wasn't hearing, either. When it was all over with and we were back home, she heard the furnace come on and said "what's that noise, mom?" She said that about a number of everyday sounds. The Dr. burned her lip with the cauterizer - it was horrible. Her poor lip was so swollen she couldn't even drink out of a straw. He did pastic surgery to repair the damage. The pink part had melted down into the white part. She still has a scar.
Post a Comment