June 19, 2010:
Before I left the hospital, I had been told that I needed to make an appointment with Kylee’s pediatrician to get her levels checked for her jaundice again. Her appointment was Friday the 18th. My mom was able to come with me. They checked her levels, and unfortunately they had gone up.
That evening, her pediatrician called and told me that I needed to take her to Valley Children’s that night because her levels were too high. Already feeling hormonal, this put me over the edge! It was eight in the evening, Mike was cleaning up throw up from Lyric, and packing to go to the hospital was the last thing I wanted to do! He told me I could take her back to the office on Saturday morning to get her levels checked one last time. If they had gone up again, then I’d have to for sure take her in.
Saturday morning, my parents were kind enough to show up bright and early with donuts and chocolate milk, so that Mike and I could take Kylee to the doctor. I was really hoping here levels had lowered, or at least stayed the same. They drew her blood and told us they’d call with the results. About an hour later, the doctor called us back. Her levels had gone up quite a bit more! I turned into an emotional mess. The last thing I wanted to do was pack my bags and go to the hospital with my four day old baby.
We headed back home so I could get my stuff ready. Thank goodness, the doctor had requested a private room so I could stay with her. I felt grateful that Mike was on vacation from work and could stay with the kids, since I wasn’t sure how long we’d be gone. My mom drove with me and Kylee to Valley Children’s. We checked in and the took us back to the NICU and showed us our room.
The nurses were incredible. They made me feel so much better about the whole thing. She had to stay under the lights 24/7. I was able to pump milk for her and feed her with a bottle. My mom stayed till late in the evening and then came back the next morning with my dad. Then they left to watch Lyric and Paxton so that Mike could come up for a few hours.
They checked her levels every twelve hours. Each time, her levels went down, which was such a relief. They started off at about 22 and needed to go down to about 11 before we could go home. We got there Saturday afternoon, and by Monday afternoon, her levels had gone down enough. Seeing tons of other tiny babies that were there for way more critical circumstances, made me feel so grateful that we were able to come and go in a short 48 hours. I feel very blessed that I’ve been able to have three healthy babies without complications.
I was able to feel at complete ease knowing that between the help of Mike, my parents, and Jamie, everything was under control at home with the other two kids. Quite honestly, my biggest concern was Sunday morning. Mike has never had to get them ready for church completely on his own, and I knew they’d look a little……homely :) He had never had to worry about Lyric’s hair and clothes. But, that was okay. He got them there, and that’s all that matters, right?
In the end, I was glad to know that Kylee was healthy and her jaundice levels were down and not a concern anymore.
Big sister giving hugs before we left.
She actually really enjoyed her warm tanning bed!
Sporting her cool shades, and her binky, which ended up being a lifesaver!
Lyric made sure that Kylee had her special teddy bears with her before we left.
Ready to go home!!!
1 comment:
What a scary phone call. Just when you get home and can start settling into your routine, you have to go back. I'm sorry. Glad everything went ok and you were home quick enough.
Congrats, she is adorable!
Post a Comment