Saturday, September 22, 2007

You Would Think I Would Learn

You would think by now, I would know to pack extra clothing for Paxton and Lyric. Between Paxton's explosions and Lyric's new potty training, it would sure come in handy.

So, today we all went to do what I do best, a little shopping. We went to the mall and then went to Boston Pizza. I literally have not eaten there in like ten years. It was so yummy. Afterwards I had Mike drop Paxton and I off at Target while he and Lyric went to a video game store. It probably sounds strange, but we always do this. It works out great, because we each only have one child and we get to go to the stores that we love, but the other doesn't like so much.

So, I am feeding Paxton his bottle while browsing the store. He finishes and wants more. I brought some extra milk in a little cooler bag. I decided to go to the bathroom to warm it up under the hot water. I used to do this all the time with Lyric. This Target had one of those "family" bathrooms. I love when they have these. You have access to everything with lots of privacy. I put a paper towel in the sink and let it fill up with hot water. I set the bottle in the sink to warm up while I checked Paxton's diaper. I laid him on the changing table, not without lining it with paper towels first. Immediately I see the whole back of his shirt and pants covered in bright yellow poop! I carefully disrobe him and realize that this mess is too big for wet wipes to handle. I decided the sink would do a much better job. The milk was sufficiently heated, so I took it out of the sink. I got paper towels and put soap on them so I could scrub down the sink. I then proceeded to rinse his little body off to remove all of the poop. He didn't think too fondly of it! I put a clean diaper on and put him back in his car seat. I covered him with the only extra piece of fabric I had- his burp cloth.

Prior to this bathroom saga, I had been scouring the clearance sections. See, you have to understand that nothing gets my little heart beating faster then Target's red clearance stickers. Every time I go there, which seems to average once a week, this week it was three, I browse all of the clearance sections hoping to find amazing steals. Even if I don't need it, I can justify buying it if the price has been marked down far enough. So on with my story, I had been in the baby section and had seen some extremely cheap shorts and shirts. We went back to that section and found the perfect "disposable" outfit. $1.24 for the shirt, and $1.24 for the shorts! I took the tags off and put the clothes on him. Of course I saved the tags to pay for them at the register. I explained to the guy what had happened as he gave me a very perplexed look when I handed him price tags with nothing attached!

I think I have possibly learned my lesson to start carrying extra clothes in my bag. By the way, Lyric did awesome today. She went potty at multiple stores and we had no accidents! We had a few false alarms where we run to the potty and nothing comes out, but I can handle those!

5 comments:

Katie said...

YIKES!! You seem to be showing us the REAL side of having children. No one ever talks about potty-training and rinsing their babies off constantly. Thanks for the reality check.

Bubbly Faces said...

I can't tell you how many times my kids have done that and I have been forced to buy a ugly cheap outfit to cover my child. Well done... isn't it great being a mom

Jamie and Family said...

good job! I got anxiety reading this thought ;-)

Daytrippingmom Media said...

I have to admit this has also happened to me on several occasions and I rarely pack an extra set of clothes for the kids. You did great under pressure. I think a lot of us would have cracked!! You're awesome and I think i've told you before but I'm also a sucker for Target Clearance items. They're the best!!!

Katie said...

BTW: I almost had a heart attack when you said you go to Target every week! EEEK!!! (remember I am scared of shopping!)